Thursday, March 8, 2012

range report 3/7 - izzy versus ruger



Wasn't feeling very good yesterday, lots of stress at work catching up with me, so I took the day off. Went out to the range. Instead of shooting the izzy and the Spartan, I decided to shoot the izzy and the ruger, alternating every two targets. The rationale was two-fold; 1) I will probably have to have the izzy in the shop soon so I wanted to see my proficiency with the Ruger, and 2) the Spartan scope mount was feeling a little loose given that the upper grip screw has sheared off, leaving it with only 3 of the 4 mounting screws. So I didn't want to cause any more damage to that mount.

Shooting went pretty good, actually I should say really good. I was able to push things out of my mind and keep clear focus. I shot nearly equal with each gun, so that tells me that my fundamentals are fairly sound and my technique consistent between guns. That was nice.

I used Eley Sport in the Ruger and some older CCI standard velocity in the izzy just to see if it would cure the light-strike issue. I had less light-strikes with CCI std.vel than Eley Sport or Wolf, but still had some. I also notice that CCI is harder to load in the magazines, tends to hang up around the nose of the bullet. It also feels to me like CCI has a little more recoil than Eley Sport. I had to change my zero for CCI which was a little interesting; it was low left POI. I wonder why at 50 feet CCI shows such a difference from Wolf and Eley which have the same POI.

I had I think two light strikes with CCI on the izzy, and I had two failures to extract on the Ruger. One of the failures to extract was just a complete failure to cycle the bolt; when I retracted it manually, it cycled fine, ejecting the empty and loading the next round. The other failure was a stove-pipe.

The really good part of the session was that I cleaned a target with the izzy!!! And I came pretty close to cleaning a second target, but threw an 8.

Overall it was good to see that I was shooting equally well with both guns and that inspires confidence going into the next match if I need to use the Ruger.

No comments:

Post a Comment