Monday, March 19, 2012

range report 3/17

So I received a package from EAA on Friday containing my firing
pin and the pin that holds the firing pin in (just in case I bent it),
plus some spare grip screws. I managed to get the firing pin out FROM
THE BOTTOM of the slide (using a very small punch and more force and I
was comfortable with...ended up bending one of my punches in the
process). The assembly diagram shows that pin going IN from the
bottom, but it does not. It goes in and out from the top side of the
slide. Anyway, got the pin out, got the old firing pin out.
Compared with the new one. The nub on my firing pin that protrudes is
basically completely gone. Replaced the new firing pin into the
slide, put the retraining pin in and figured I was good to go to the
range.

Well I get to the range and the izzy won't chamber the first round.
On close inspection, the nub of the firing pin is preventing the case
rim from riding up high enough against the slide to get the proper
angle to be inserted into the chamber. I did some pushing on the
firing pin and realized it was seized up in the slide. Oh
well....ended up switching to the Ruger and shooting a session with
that and the Spartan. Not my best session but at least it was some
practice.

Got home and took the firing pin out and dremeled the notch on the
side of the firing pin a little bigger. Very quick work, put the pin
back in and now its sliding back and forth in the slide with very
little effort so I think I have it fixed. This week I plan to get out
at least twice in advance of the match this Sunday and verify the Izzy
is working well. I think I still have enough of the non-waxy CCI std.
vel to do some practice

No comments:

Post a Comment