Friday, March 23, 2012

range report 3/22/12



Got out to my usual range yesterday, had to pick up my new iron, a S&W 5906 which will be used for defensive purposes. While the range did the FFL transfer, they let me get a lane and shoot while they finished the paperwork.

My shooting with the izzy felt pretty good, but the scores were a little lower than my last session. Didn't bother shooting the Spartan yesterday, didn't feel like beating myself up mentally and physically. Good thing was that across four slowfire and eight rapid fire targets, I had zero malfunctions with the izzy.

Took the 5906 out and gave it a hundred rounds of winchester white box after I finished my bullseye practice. The first few rounds had a tiny bit of trouble going into battery, but a light push on the rear of the slide fixed that. After a mag or two, this seemed to subside. Probably just needs a good lube, but I also have a spare recoil spring I am going to change out since I have no idea how old the one in there is.

This gun is very accurate at least at the short distances (5 and 9 yards) that I tested it at. Ten-shot groups fired quickly with two-hands were well under 6" and a ten-shot group fired a moderate pace at 5 yards was well under 2". I was shooting small groups and the trigger is pretty darn good. The double action is very smooth with no binding or 'stacking'. The single action break is crisp and repeatable after taking up the trigger. It will be interesting to see how it performs at longer distances in my next range session.

I've mounted a streamlight TLR-1 on the rail and added a Hogue sleeve to the grip with some finger grooves.

No comments:

Post a Comment