Tuesday, February 21, 2012

range report 2/20


After the last session in which the Les Baer's scope mount broke, I took it back to Briley's for repair, which is going to be done under warranty. Hopefully its done by this weekend for the bullseye match. So I shot the Spartan as my .45 using factory loads. The Spartan is definitely a harder gun to shoot accurately for me because of the heavier trigger.

Used Eley Sport in the izzy and encountered no high-feed jams but did have one light strike and one very unusual occurance. I fired and the round like 'fizzled' and smoke poured out of every orifice of the izzy. The round was difficult to extract; the case must have bulged. At first I thought it was a squib, so I took my rod and verified the barrel was clear. Shot impacted well-low on the target, so I guess it was just a fizzle.

Also had a problem with the izzy trigger not resetting a couple times, so I backed the pre-travel screw out a little bit. I've noticed that the izzy trigger has been feeling like it has a fair amount of creep and I'm not sure if this started after I adjusted the weight down or I used the 3M silicone lubricant on the internals. I will have to play with the trigger some to see if I can't get a better adjustment with less creep. The trigger on the IZH-46m airgun I've been practicing at home with is so good that I'm getting spoiled.

My slow-fire scores were respectable, with a couple stand-outs with the izzy, shooting a 93. My sustained fire seems to be falling off a little bit. Having trouble getting back on the trigger fast enough and keeping a rhythm. With the Spartan, the trouble is more trying not to snatch the trigger and let it break cleanly, which is hard given that gun's trigger.

I've been practicing with the airgun just about every morning, just shooting a few targets. It seems like its really helping. I feel like my hold in slow-fire is a lot more steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment