Wednesday, February 1, 2012

range report 1/31

Got out to shoot last night. Took a TON of ammo with me, especially
45. I brought 100 rounds of factory 45 loads and 200 of my reduced
power loads, along with a brick of SK Pistol Match, which is the new
ammo I have been trying in the izzy.

Started out the session with my complementary target with shapes on it
at 10 yards and practiced rapid fire drills using the STI Spartan and
the factory full-power loads. I figured if I could shoot accurately
with the Spartan, which has about a 4.5lb trigger and doesn't have a
palm shelf, then I should be able to do pretty good with the Les Baer
with its smoother and lighter trigger.

What I wanted to work on was my arm motion following the shot. So I
was concentrating on letting the gun naturally recoil after the first
shot, and then returning my arm to firing position, without
overshooting the target and without having any spastic or 'panic'
movements. I wanted to return to the firing position and if
everything is right, I should be able to see my dot and not have to
chase it.

Well believe it or not, it worked. I tend to kind of cant the gun
slightly left, so the gun tends to recoil up and left after the shot.
My arm came back down and to the right and generally settled right on
target and I had a dot in my picture. I did the trigger reset during
the recoil phase and tensioned the trigger as my arm came back down.
Then I went into my regular shot process.

The results were pretty good, I was keeping my shots within the shapes
and getting my successive shots off faster. I shot 100 rounds with
the Spartan, enough that my hand was starting to hurt a little.

Then I switched to my new routine, two targets with the izzy, two
targets wtih the Les Baer. My 45 scores were actually pretty good,
but my 22 scores were not as high as I would have liked; sucked in
both SF and RF. But its a bit of a milestone to break 700 with the
45.

I noticed that I was having more shakes with the Les Baer than with
the Spartan, which kind of surprised me. Might make me switch back to
regular grips instead of the Herrett National grips on the Les Baer
and see how that impacts my scores.

Surprisingly, the grips on the izzy weren't feeling right to my hand.
I felt like I was pulling or twisting the gun when I pulled the
trigger. Maybe I need a trigger job to take a little bit a creep out
of the trigger.

Anyway, its good to be improving with the 45, and my standard
deviations are continuing to go down, so there's improvement
happening, I just need some more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment