Tuesday, April 26, 2011

range report 4/26/2011


With my gun in the shop, we went out and shot my buddy's Ruger MKII, which looks pretty much identical to the one on the left. We even put the same Hogue grips on it. His gun has a bit of trigger work, so the pull is relatively light and has a decent break.

We shot the official bullseye targets (you can get your targets here: http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/handgun/) at a distance of 20 yards, which is a little farther than the official distance of 50', but the range we were at didn't have the best distance markings.

My scores:

slow fire: 26, 54, 22, 42
avg: 36

rapid fire: 60, 42, 51, 61, 66, 69
avg: 58.16

est. match score: 152

My mentor George tells me that's a pretty decent score for the first time shooting the official targets and with iron sights and a gun that I don't know all that well. So I was happy, but there is a lot of room for improvement!

The range we went to didn't allow lead bullets! First I've heard of that, so I had to buy some mini-mags to shoot with as opposed to using my CCI SV. Probably doesn't make any difference at this point, but standard velocity ammo is more accurate and the only ammo I will shoot in my gun.

SBGST:

Stance: Feel ok on this, I feel like each time out it gets better and better and more natural.

Breathing: Tried a technique recommended by George which is 'supercharging' or breathing really deeply to saturate the blood with oxygen. This helps stave off muscle fatigue while holding, especially during the slow-fire portions. I don't have this technique down in a regular manner; I still have to think about it and don't always do things consistently at this point.

Grip: The Hogue grips we put on the Ruger are a world of improvement over the stock grips. That said, they still aren't as a good as the IZH grips with their palm shelf that really locks the hand onto the gun. I'm still working on finding a hold that's comfortable, tight, and not a death-grip on the gun.

Sights: Still having trouble with the 'tall' front sight of the Ruger, but getting better at bringing it down and finding the top easier. The front sight is just so tall that it feels like you can be aligning the sight in the vertical for a long time; its just a little weird. I would like the sights lower to the bore line, but I understand why the front sight is so tall; its because of the tapered barrel. That said, my eyes are glued to the front sight while I'm shooting.

Trigger: The trigger on the MKII is a two-stage affair, with the first stage being medium in length and very very light, while the second stage is a pretty crisp break around 2-2.5lbs. The trigger itself feels wider than the IZH, and has more of a curved shape.

I am having a really hard time adjusting my trigger finger to put the pad centered on the trigger as opposed to putting the right edge of the trigger into the crook of my first joint. I feel like my
finger hangs out too much and makes a weird 'arch' from my hand back into the trigger guard that makes my grip feel unstable.

Its even more confusing because I read an article by Brian Zins (10-time NRA pistol champion and finalist on that Top Shot show on History channel) where he actually recommends using the first crook of the finger centered on the trigger. His reasons are mainly that the pad of the finger is compressible, so that 'slop' can cause issues when one is applying steady pressure and waiting for the break.

All in all, it was a good time at the range, very humbling to shoot the official targets. At 20 yards, they are f**king small!

No comments:

Post a Comment