Thursday, April 21, 2011

range report - 4/20/11

Fired about 250 rounds last night, finished off what I had left of the crappy Remington "Target" Standard Velocity, which included 2 more duds (good primer strikes on recovered cartridges). My first batch of CCI Standard Velocity finally arrived, so I capped off the session with about 100 around of that, which of course fed reliably and had zero duds.

My averages were a little better at 20 yards; I shot five 5-shot strings and averaged 4.879", which was significantly better than my last set of 20-yard targets. My first set of 5-yard targets weren't so hot, a pretty big average of 3.411" but my second was more on-par with how I've been shooting, averaging 1.958". That put my total 5-yard average for the session at 2.684", definitely the worst I have shot so far, but I'm not going to dwell on that, especially because I did ok on the 20-yard side of things.

Home practice:

This week I have been working on dry-firing while using a laser bore-sighter. I watch the laser when I pull the trigger to try and correct a deficiency where I am pulling the shots to the left. I also have been working on holding a 5-lbs weight straight out like the gun and only holding it with my lower three fingers while extending my trigger finger and moving it independently of the grip. The weight definitely helped my endurance at the range yesterday; I also started to get tired in my hold at the very end.

Technical issues:

I replaced the three slot-head screws in the upper shroud with hex screws I found off GunBroker. Its nice to have stronger screws, but they are still finding their way loose after about 100 rounds. Same for the grip screws and for the palm shelf screw (which is also a hex screw on my gun...not sure if this is stock or not). I always carry a set of hex keys and the take-down tool for the gun, so snugging the screws back up wasn't a big deal, but I think I need to Locktite them for the next trip.

SBGST:

Stance: Still working it out, but I feel pretty comfortable. I'm able to put a little more weight forward, and that felt comfortable.

Breathing: I did really well on this part, consistent breathing on each string.

Grip: Having some problems here. The palm shelf shifting isn't helping, but I'm still trying to find my consistent grip that is both comfortable and controls the gun well. I'm keeping my thumb straight now in the thumb groove and trying to keep it relaxed. But I also have issues with the gun twisting up and left under recoil. I'm experimenting with grip pressure on my lower three fingers: I have read that the appropriate grip strength is that which is as strong as possible without causing the arm to shake from tension/exertion.

Sights: Also having a bit of a problem here seeing the sights against the black targets. I really wish I had a high-contrast front sight. Perhaps I need to switch to the bullseye method of "dotting the i" with my sights, but that means adjusting the sights for a specific target and distance, which I'm not sure I'm ready to do yet. During shooting my focus on the front sight and sight picture is good, and I'm not looking down-range until all my rounds are fired.

Trigger: Was told I need to work more on not anticipating the shot. That's something I've worked hard at on rifle, but pistol, especially rapid fire, makes that somewhat difficult. I shot a video of my trigger control on a 5-shot string for critique. I think I'm still flinching a little bit, but for the most part my pull is steady increasing pressure with a pretty good rhythm. I know it can get a lot better, but watching the video I was actually pleasantly surprised with how 'smooth' I felt my trigger finger was moving.

First set of targets at 5-yards:


Second set of targets at 5-yards:


Target at 20 yards:


Video of my trigger pull:

No comments:

Post a Comment