Monday, January 16, 2012

range report 1/15

I went out on Saturday
with this guy I used to work with, Mauricio, and his work friend Yang.
Yang apparently just got into guns too, so he brought out a Beretta
92FS and a Sig Mosquito. I brought the Ruger and the Spartan. It was really funny shooting the Beretta; I was not that
impressed at all for what is a high-dollar pistol. The trigger was
terrible, super long, and even in single action mode, there was a lot
of creep and an indefinite break. The sights were combat sights and
were off; the gun was shooting high-right for everyone. Personally, I
don't get combat sights. I know the idea is to have something rugged
that won't snag or break, but it seems to me like almost every gun
I've shot with combat sights has been quite a bit off in terms of POI
versus POA. The little Mosquito was a fun gun, but again, a crap
trigger. It was more accurate than I thought it would be. Anyway, it
was fun to shoot some different guns. I mostly shot the Spartan and
did pretty well even using the factory ammo loads that I brought
along. I think I am finally starting to improve with the 45's.

Then Sunday night I went out for another session by myself. This time
I decided to shoot half my targets with the izzy and half with the Les
Baer. As you know, I use the targets that have four bulls on them, so
I shot two bulls with the izzy and then two with the Les Baer and did
that for 6 targets; 3 sf and 3 rf. Normally I will shoot a whole
match with one gun before switching. Well this was pretty
interesting, because I was constantly switching guns. I think it gave
me some insight into what is difficult about the 45's for me. Its the
grip. When I hold the izzy, especially now that I have the Horton
grips on it, it just hooks onto my hand and it feels like a natural
extension of my arm. With the 1911, I have to squeeze the crap out of
the front and rear straps to get a good grip on the gun and while I
have the Herret National grips on the gun which have a palm shelf that
helps, its not as good as the izzy. I wish the 1911 grip angle was a
little steeper I think.

I adjusted the izzy trigger before I went out. Finally got the
trigger blade loose and moved it rearwards to fit my hand better after
adding the Horton grips. I also dialed out a little bit of the
pretravel and I lightened the trigger up 3 clicks. Didn't mess with
the sear engagement screw. The trigger feels about the same, just a
little bit lighter and less pretravel. Definitely not as light or as
short as yours though. Also cleaned the izzy and lock-tited all the
screws and scope mount.

So I got my targets back home and found out some good news in two
areas: with the 45 I was putting pretty much all of my shots inside
the target, which is not an easy feat for me. And #2, my izzy scores
were really really good! I shot an 825-23x match score with the izzy.

Practicing with the laserlyte system I think has really helped with
the 45 and getting more used to the trigger. I still need to figure
out how to grip the gun better so that its not so shaky. I can hold
the izzy really steady but when I switch to the Les Baer, it just
moves around more. Its a lighter gun, the 45, so maybe a barrel
weight or something would help?

Anyway, I was really proud of the 825 match score! Its a new high-water mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment