Thursday, January 12, 2012

range report 1/10

Got the izzy out last night to the range and shot a match. Ended
up scoring a 792-9x (no X ring on the B2 target for slow-fire). I
don't know what EAA did to the gun when they said they 'adjusted the
barrel'. But the gun seemed like it was shooting tighter groups, or
maybe it was just switching to the izzy after months of using the
Ruger. I'm still getting used to the Horton grips, but they feel
pretty good. I think I like my mentor George's grips a little better, but I do
really like the finger grooves that Mr. Horton put on mine. The izzy
trigger was nice to get back to, but it was feeling a little heavy.
And compared with George's izzy, it was feeling positively sluggish.

I think when I take the gun down next, I will mark the trigger
adjustment screws and start to tweak them. I need to move the trigger
aft, and I was having a heck of a time getting the screw loose to move
it. I'd like to get a little bit of the pre-travel dialed out of the
trigger and try to get the break a little more crisp. I will get out
my old emails where George described the magic screws and their
interaction with the trigger.

Ended my session a little bit early, it was getting kind of late and I
had a discussion with a new shooter to my right. I let him shoot the
izzy (they started him with a Glock 19...not the best choice IMHO) and
he was pretty surprised at how little recoil it had. He was
struggling with the recoil of the 9mm so I was recommending he get a
22 for practice. Also at the end of the session I noticed the scope
mount was loose on the izzy so I imagine that EAA did not lock-tite it
back on after they stripped and cleaned the gun. ARG!

One thing I noticed was that the quality of the dot is superior in the
matchdot ultradot sight than it is in the regular ultradots. Its more
round and has less 'twinkle' and actually even seems smaller even when
the matchdot is set at 4MOA which should be the same size. George's
aimpoint has a very nice dot in terms of roundness. Normally I have
used the 2MOA setting with the matchdot, but yesterday I turned it up
to 4MOA and found I was liking that a lot better.

My zero was off a little bit, so I was tweaking that throughout the
session. I'm gonna blame that for not having shot over 800! :-)

I did have a few malfunctions. I had a couple failures to feed the
first round which was a little bit weird. The bullet was hanging up
on the upper lip of the chamber. I also had THREE failures to fire.
Each time I inspected the round and it had a pretty good dent in the
rim, so clearly the firing pin struck it. I was shooting exclusively
Wolf MT and the stuff I have is pretty new, at least to me. I got it
from Champions. But.....NO DOUBLING! The gun wasn't doubling that
frequently anyway, maybe once or twice in 100 or 200 rounds, so we'll
see if EAA's 'barrel adjustment' helps at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment