Tuesday, August 2, 2011

range report 7/31/11


Got out on Sunday for some shooting. Shot SK ammo with the izzy. Actually had three instances of doubling. After each I cleaned the chamber face with a dental pick. I guess the gun was just dirty or perhaps SK ammo is a little more sensitive. Anyway, those 3 doubling incidents threw off some of my targets. Going through the basics: Stance - I've got this one down, I feel pretty comfortable with my stance. Breathing - Another one that I pretty much have down. I am taking a big inhale on raising the pistol and then slowly exhaling during my shots. In slow-fire I am trying to only take 2-3 shots at a time so I don't run out of breath. I have been shooting the slow-fire relatively quickly, not resetting the gun after each shot. Grip - Feels pretty good, occasionally I will get it a little off and the gun will twist slightly in my hand, but otherwise the gun feels good. I ordered some grips from Dick Horton that are going to be custom made to fit my hand, so that will be really exciting to get those on the izzy. Sights - I've been doing better letting the dot find the center of the bull and it doesn't feel so 'heavy' where I was having a hard time getting the dot onto the center. I am trying not to be entirely reactionary to the dot moving into the center, but more reactionary in terms of starting the press while the dot is in the black. Trigger - This is the hard one for me. My first shot tends to be a jerk of the trigger even though I don't intend that. Its almost like the first shot feels heavier on the trigger than the subsequent shots. I know that's not true, but I think part of it is that I follow-through on the trigger and then let it out only enough to feel it reset before the next shot. I need to work a lot more on my first-shot trigger control.

No comments:

Post a Comment