Friday, July 8, 2011

range report 7/7/11

Last night when I took the .45 out, I decided to concentrate on
shorter ranges and getting the gun zeroed. I used a two-handed stance
and started at 5 yards and was able to put most of my shots in the 5"
targets I was using. Then I moved back to 9 yards and I was doing
pretty well there also. I put it back at 20 yards and it got
difficult. Hard to shoot consistent groups, but I was getting better.
Did the last 50 rounds or so with one hand; this was a little worse
as I struggled to get an appropriate grip that didn't push my finger
too far through the guard. I'm getting more used to the trigger, and
perhaps it is a sweet thing to have. I ordered a cheaper trigger pull
gauge just to get an idea of if its just a weird break that just feels
super-light but is actually legal, or if its actually about 1lb like
it feels like to me. I did have two jams during the session, both
with the metalform magazines I bought. The Tripp magazines, which I
plan to use for bullseye, have not jammed. I don't know exactly what
the jam was, which is a little unnerving. The trigger wouldn't pull.
I put the gun on safe, checked that the hammer was back, then took the
gun off safe and slowly pulled the slide back. There was a round
chambered. I ejected the round and it did not have a primer mark on
it. I later fired both jammed rounds without issue. I wonder if the
sear somehow didn't reset? But the trigger felt blocked like it does
when you have the safety on, there wasn't a pull to it that was
'empty'. Not sure. Hopefully won't happen again or at least not with
the Tripp magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment