Monday, May 2, 2011

range report - 4/29/2011

With my gun in the shop and my buddy busy, I went out to the rifle range to do some benchrest shooting for a change of pace. My rifle is a Savage 93R17 in 17HMR. The 17HMR is a great cartridge; very fast, very flat, very accurate. I was shooting with a Mueller Optics APV scope on 14x and off a bipod and rear bag at 100 yards.

Did some shooting slowly, focusing on my technique. My focus was on changing my technique from squeezing the rear bag to putting virtually zero pressure on the rear bag, and using only my thumb in the stock to squeeze the trigger, my other fingers off the gun. So the only places I'm touching the gun are my cheekweld and my thumb. This actually seemed to make some difference and was a tip given to me by some other benchrest shooters.

I noticed that I pull the trigger with the pad of my finger on the rifle, while putting the first crease of my finger onto the edge of the trigger on pistols. I think this is related to the length of pull, which is fairly long on the rifle.

My averages for my groups were pretty good. Slow-fire 1.112" avg. CTC. Rapid fire (as fast as I could operate the bolt and get back on target): 1.254" avg. CTC. My goal with this gun is to be able to average under 1" on a consistent basis.

Slow fire:





Rapid fire:


Best groupings:

No comments:

Post a Comment